Thursday, November 21, 2013
White-Tailed Deer
We frequently see white-tailed deer on our property. These photos were taken back in the summer in the meadow behind our house. We have a large pond and several creeks so water is plentiful and you can see how high the grass in the meadow was.
There are a lot of deer in this part of the state. My mom says when she was growing up they didn't even exist here. Now it's almost a daily occurrence if you get out early enough in the morning or late in the afternoon to see these shy, graceful creatures.
We are now in the middle of deer season and we hear rifle fire almost every day. I don't understand how anyone can kill these beauties for sport. But I guess that's a way to keep the herds from becoming overpopulated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




11 comments:
i am hoping they are being killed for meat consumption.
i have never seen a deer at run*a*round. the closest was a few miles down the road on a dirt section that was sparsely populated by humans.
Wonderful photographs.
Beautiful photos, Kathy.
These are wonderful photos, Kathy. I just love seeing the deer in the tall grass looking at you.
My dad told me recently that he's done hunting deer. He said he has so much meat in his freezer fromm the previous season, that he just doesn't need to shoot any more. I was shocked, but really glad! I could never shoot one of these beauties, for any reason.
so beautiful, our deer here, even though i have never seen one, only pics of them, look like these but a lot smaller.
These beauties are much prettier than our mule deer that we see around here.
Hi again, Kathy. Just wanted to answer your question on my post today. The release is just saying that they aren't liable if you fall or get hurt on their property.
I sympathize with your feelings.
I'm with you. I couldn't shoot at one, but I realize that the population needs to be managed -- to a degree -- for their own good. Still don't like thinking about it. Great photos BTW.
It's sad but they need to be thinned. The deer population in the forest preserves here got so high that people were getting killed on the roads frequently. there is no hunting allowed and it got bad for both humans and deer.
They sure are beautiful delicate looking creatures, your pictures are outstanding!
Post a Comment