Thursday, November 7, 2013

El Charro Cafe - Tucson, Arizona


After a morning at Mission San Xavier del Bac my friend Jo and I sought out the El Charro Cafe in downtown Tucson.  We were working off the map app on my phone and kept getting twisted around due to construction but we finally found it and found a good parking space just behind the restaurant on the next street over.


El Charro is the nation's oldest Mexican restaurant in continuous operation by the same family, having opened its doors in 1922!  In 2008 it was named by Gourmet Magazine as one of America's 21 most legendary restaurants.  It is still reasonably priced, the service is excellent, and the fare is traditional Mexican.  Real Mexican, not the Tex-Mex stuff we get here in Texas (sorry Texas friends, but you haven't eaten real Mexican food until you've sampled it in Arizona and New Mexico!).


And I'm always a sucker for an interesting window!

8 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

an interesting looking place. i do prefer tex-mex to authentic mexican fare. :)

Mersad said...

Great shots with vivid colors. We don't have Mexican restaurants at all here, so If I want Mexican food, I have to make it myself.

Gail Dixon said...

I always tell people who rave about Pappadeaux's that they are not getting true Cajun fare. I LOVE Tex-Mex though. Can we still be friends? :) The shot of the yellow wall with the decorative iron window is fabulous!

Judy said...

This is a great place!!

Birdman said...

Is that a tribute to the 'Day of the Dead'?

EG CameraGirl said...

I very much like your window shot, Kathy.

I'm afraid I wouldn't know the difference between Tex-Mex and authentic Mexican. I have eaten Mexican food in Mazatlan...but that was a long time ago when it was safer to visit Mexico. ;)

Amy Burzese said...

A fun and colorful place. (As a good Mexican place should be.) I do love that window shot.

Pia said...

Nice place Kathy! And I am with you with the window passion!