Saturday, November 30, 2013

Anole



One day this past summer while watering my tomato plants I discovered this tiny little anole clinging to the leaves of one plant.  She was probably no bigger than about three inches long.  I say "she" because the females tend to have more brown markings while the males are usually a brilliant green.

Speaking of gender, for those of you yesterday who thought the white peafowl was a pretty lady, I must inform you that it was a pretty boy.  Males are called peacocks and females are known as peahens.  There are probably in excess of a hundred peafowl which roam the pathways of the Ellen Trout Zoo in Lufkin. They're literally everywhere.

12 comments:

Randy said...

Great colors. Probably would have startled me at first.

TexWisGirl said...

sweet little frownie face. :)

Everything Changes said...

Interesting fellow!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

this sweet little girl looks like a first cousin once removed with my Lizzy or who lives on the fence with Leonard. our brown anoles the female has a stripe down her back. can't see this ones back. we don't have green ones

Judy said...

So cute! These are both nice shots.

Mersad said...

I like the frownie face too.

Sharon said...

What a cute little creature she is.

Birdman said...

Never heard of a peafowl. You showed me something.

EG CameraGirl said...

I've only seen anoles in photos. Very cute, in my opinion.

Kate said...

Curious little girl, isn't she? Pretty cute, too.

Jeanne said...

Lovin' the little lizzard.

A Colorful World said...

Your lovely little anole has such beautiful colors...you captured every detail! We have many lizards in the yard...the chuckwalla is scared to death of me. He lives in the clutter on my back porch. Other smaller varieties love my garden, the rocks and sandy areas. I don't know all the different kinds I have. I wish I had a horny toad or two to keep the ants in check! :-)