Saturday, August 24, 2013

New Corn Hill - Holy Trinity Catholic Church


The twin spires of the Holy Trinity Catholic Church (c. 1913) are visible through the corn fields for miles as one traverses the rural roads of Williamson County, Texas, just 40 miles north of the state capitol in Austin.   These photos will conclude my Central Texas trip which I took in June, with perhaps an odd photo appearing here and there in the days, weeks, or months to come.  I've had to take another extended blogging vacation due to a heavy work load and the 24/7 care of my mother.  Mother celebrated her 92nd birthday this past week and her memory continues to deteriorate so I must remain vigilant at all hours of the day just to stay on top of things.


I knew this church was beautiful because I had seen photos of it before my trip, but when I spotted those double spires over a mile away peeking up through the summer corn, it took my breath away.  I happened to be there on a Sunday afternoon and a large crowd was gathered in the adjacent, more modern fellowship hall.  I was able to visit the inside of the church and, though, simple, it is stunningly beautiful.  I'll show you a couple of interior shots in my next post - hopefully tomorrow.


Here is a view of the Holy Trinity Catholic Cemetery behind the church.  It is populated with many graves of Czech, Bohemian, German and Moravian settlers who came to this area in the late 1800s, although the original town of Corn Hill was formed in the 1850s.  Corn Hill suffered a demise when the railroad was rerouted through a different town, and New Corn Hill was established.  All I saw in New Corn Hill were a few barns, and this gorgeous church with its large extensive cemetery.  It is hard to believe that this idyllic setting is just a few miles from a major U.S. interstate highway.

17 comments:

Randy said...

Pretty church. Love that last photo.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

What a beautiful church! I love the twin spires

Mersad said...

Those are gorgeous images Kathy. I wish you and your mother lots of strength!

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

MadSnapper n Beau said...

after the frist two photos, i planned to comment that it looked like you were dropped down in Europe, then when I got to your comments about that beautiful old cemetery, and read the names, i know it was built to look like Europe. i have missed your gallivanting shots. I pray now for your strength while caring for your mother.

jabblog said...

Beautiful shots - you had a good trip.

Sharon said...

It really is a beautiful church. You have really explored a lot of Texas while you've been there.

Kate said...

Kathy, don't be concerned about your blogging absences, esp now that we know the circumstances. We all love your blogging and appreciate the historical background you always include. You care beautifully for you Mother, and that is very admirable! Keep strong and healthy yourself, though!

Jo's World said...

Its always good to see a post from you and I especially love this old church. Glad you got to see the inside of it and will look forward to those pics whenever they come. I hope you have someone nearby who can relieve you for even an hour or two. My prayers are for your well being too.

Jo

TexWisGirl said...

good to hear from you. 92. wow. but i know it is a tough time for both of you, now.

i like the spires a lot and really like cemetery shot. it looks like you caught a mockingbird in flight right in between the spires. :)

Jeanne said...

Very pretty church. I just love the cemetery shot. The sky and the spires in the background, it's beautiful.

Judy said...

Beautiful Church and you found an interesting cemetery too!

Mari said...

That's a gorgeous church and your picture of the cemetery is so pretty with the cloudy sky!

EG CameraGirl said...

Attractive church and cemetery, Kathy.

Hang in there! For sure this is not an easy time for you.

Rosemary Aubut said...

Great captures! Loved the last one!

Pia said...

The church is beautiful and the photo of the cemetery is breathtaking.
I am a bad blogger and a bad commentor Kathy. But I often think about you and send you good thoughts. I hope they reach you. Take care of yourself please.
Pia

Amy Burzese said...

Love the photos. I took a phone photo of a church building much like that not too long ago. Love them.

Gail Dixon said...

Here you are! I just got caught up on your other blog; so sorry about your mother, as well as your own illness awhile back. I admire how well you care for your mother, just remember to take care of yourself. Always enjoy your road trips and the landscape and architecture that you photograph. So lovely!