Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Drive Through Giddings


For a small town, Giddings has so much history.  In addition to a stunning courthouse which was featured in yesterday's post, this beautiful mural can be found in its tiny little post office.  Painted circa 1939 by artist, printmaker, and fine arts teacher Otis Dozier, it is titled "Cowboys Receiving the Mail."  Dozier came to prominence during the early 1930s as a Depression era artist and was known as one of the Dallas Nine, a group of regional artists.  His works are in great demand today.


Probably no more than six feet wide (the width of the post office), this mural is one of three outstanding ones I found in post offices during this Central Texas trip.


Across the street from the post office in Giddings is this restored Magnolia gas station.  Today it appears to be a retail store selling ceramic pottery.

I didn't make it to the Giddings cemetery, wherein resides Lee County's most famous character, outlaw Bill Longley, described as one of the deadliest gunfighters in the Old West.  He was raised in Lee County just a few miles from Giddings and is believed to have committed over 30 murders.  He was arrested in Louisiana and returned to Giddings where he was tried and hanged in 1878.

Thanks to all of you who commented yesterday and offered your encouragement for my challenges with an elderly parent with rapidly progressing dementia.  Lisa had suggested joining a support group.  I'd love to be able to do that but when you live in a very isolated rural area and the nearest town is under 900 people, support groups are few and far between. I would have to travel at least 80 miles before I could find such a resource.  So I reiterate if any of you have any suggestions of reading material on this subject, please let me know.  At least I can get books from Amazon.com.

15 comments:

Randy said...

Great mural.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

we lived across the street for many years from a gas station just like this oni e... a working gas station with gas at 25 cents... i love the mural and thanks for the blow ups shot. the detail is fantastic and i could not tell what the kneeling cowboy was doing. i am of course big cowboy fan

TexWisGirl said...

love the guy getting new boots - but, man, those heels are high! :)

i am wondering if there are bloggers or groups on line that you could find for dementia and alzheimers caregivers?

Sharon said...

That mural is wonderful. I'm so glad you found it. I love the "new" boots.

Try searching for an on-line support group. I don't know of any but I bet there might be one.

Judy said...

That is such a great mural. I have seen some much like this one in my travels. You have captured it nicely. Those old gas stations are becoming a rare sight. I like when they are kept up and put to new uses.

Jeanne said...

I just love the restored gas station/ceramic shop. I'm sure it would be fun to browse around in there.

Unknown said...

Great reuse of the gas station.

Indrani said...

Lovely post with great shots. The mural is a good one and i liked the shoes in it.

A Colorful World said...

This was an antique shop/junque shop when we were there. We bought a little wooden bedstead there. Great landmark. It was so nice to see it again!

A Colorful World said...

The post office was also a place I went to often. I think I may have taken a photo of the mural, but didn't have a very good camera back then. I never visited the cemetery though I knew about the famous grave. The one thing I really regret not doing was the Painted Churches tour! I will do that if we ever get back to visit. If you do go again, remember to go to Round Top and see the Festival-Institute. In fact, google it and see when a concert or event is happening that you might want to attend if you know you are going again some time (though I know it will likely be quite a while, with your Mom so ill) ...well worth your time! That's where I used to work, as Administrative Assistant to Mr. Dick. I have so many friends there I'd love to see again!

EG CameraGirl said...

A mural worth photographing, Kathy.

How is your mom doing? And how are YOU doing?

Suburban Girl said...

You may be isolate but atleast you have interestin small towns to distract you.

Did you call the Alzheimer's Association about support? They may have connections or materials. Even if it is not technically Alzheimer's, the material would relate.

My mother had dementia. She deteriorated over 4 years as my son aged from 2-6. I felt they passed each other in cognitive abilities. For a time, I felt as though I had two preschoolers with me. I found a lot of things my son was interested in, my mother was also. Candy Land, Shoots and Ladders, photo bingo, etc. We would count all the red cars when we went out somewhere. Things like that helped keep her mind engaged and out of trouble.

Have you read about coconut? There was an interesting video on that. I don't know if it works in all cases but it might be worth a try. Research online what Dr. Mary Newport did with her husband.
http://www.anh-usa.org/coconut-oil-and-alzheimer%E2%80%99s-disease/

Hang in there. I know it is tough.

Mersad said...

So sad to hear about your struggle. Please stay strong! I wish you all the best!

Mari said...

What a great place to visit! The painting is beautiful.
Sorry to hear about your mom. It's a difficult thing to deal with.

Kate said...

Kathy, Both Sharon and Rebecca gave you advice that echos mine. It's very, very tough so I hope that you get some kind of relief occasionally. Any close relatives? Doesn't sound like it, but an online support group might help?!