Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Smithville, TX


A few weekends ago I took a three-day road trip to Central Texas to explore the region's historic courthouses, small towns, and the back roads.  Over the next couple of weeks I'll take you on my journey, although it won't be in any chronological order.

One of the most charming little towns I visited was Smithville, located about 40 miles southeast of Austin.  It was my first stop that day so I arrived in town quite early after a morning shower.  Since it was a Sunday, the streets were pretty much deserted so I got my own personal tour of the place.  As I drove through downtown and some of the residential area, I thought to myself:  This is one little city (population 4,000) I could live in.  It has many Victorian homes amid tree-lined streets, a cute park, a railroad museum, antique shops, a post office with an artistic mural and real wood doors and trim, and plenty of ghost signs.


Who wouldn't want to live in a quiet little town where antique store proprietors can leave some of their wares out on the sidewalk overnight on a Saturday!


The old Firestone sign has just about faded into oblivion.


This corner building has a variety of ghost signs.  I think I even see a Coca-Cola sign peeking through there.


Have you ever heard of the Star Biscuit Company?  I'll bet you haven't because this sign was painted in the late 1990s as a prop for the movie Hope Floats starring Sandra Bullock and Harry Connick, Jr.  Smithville has been chosen for several movie productions.


Even though the old Victorian homes were spectacular, this little cottage caught my eye.  Who can resist the bright yellow paint with the two red doors (perhaps it's a duplex) with the white picket fence, lions' heads on the gate, and a garden of sunflowers.

Tomorrow:  Murals

18 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i was gonna say - the only thing we need to check to make sure it has for you is plenty of rust. and then the roof at the end!!! it IS a perfect town for you! :)

TexWisGirl said...

really like the texas flag painted screen door at that shop. :)

Lisa Gordon said...

This looks like a wonderful little town, Kathy, and you have captured it beautifully. I love the "Star Biscuit" sign!

Happy day to you!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I love it and could be very happy there.. maybe i could put hubby in one side of the duplex and me in the other... ha ha... if we removed the traffic signals this could be a photo from a hundred years ago... I especially like those ghost signs and the new one looks old.

Sharon said...

What a great tour you've given us. I love the yellow house and the store that leaves it's wares out front is amazing.

Judy said...

Looks like my kind of place too, Kathy. The wet streets make it even more appealing. I can almost smell the rain. (which I wish I could do here right now)

Jo's World said...

Its a lovely little town . . .does it have a library???

Cheers,

Jo

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I love small towns! This one looks like a fun place to explore. Love the little cottage with a picket fence!

Lois Evensen said...

What a neat little town!

Kate said...

It's a good feeling to find a place that seems so welcoming and "just right."

Amy Burzese said...

Very, very neat place. Great old buildings and signs. Looks like the streets could use a bit of work, too.

Jeanne said...

I love old towns like this. The old buildings and shops. It's got to be a good way to live and raise a family.

Judy said...

What a neat looking town. I love all your photo captures.

Randy said...

I would love to antique shop there.

Paula said...

One of John's landladies from the ranch lives at Smithville and she and her husband own a business there. We haven't been there as they do their contracts and payments by mail but your photos make it look like a lovely town. Thanks for sharing.

Pia said...

I love all the photos Kathy. And the little house too.
This town is build for you!

EG CameraGirl said...

Smithville does have charm and I can see why it has been chosen by movie makers.

A Colorful World said...

I loved Smithville when we lived nearby! It's such a sweet little town. Glad you finally got to Central TX and saw some of the CH I am familiar with, plus the area where we lived. I'm looking forward to your posts!