Sunday, June 23, 2013
Lonely Wildflower
Hello Blogger Friends:
I apologize for my absence over the last two and a half months. It has a been a trying time with a three-week illness for me, followed by a life-threatening illness for my 91-year-old mother. She was hospitalized on May 4 with a bacterial infection called C. diff (Clostridium difficile), an illness which is generally caused by the good bacteria in the intestinal system being wiped out by an ingestion of antibiotics. C. diff can be fatal if it gets a foothold in the colon. We've all been warned about the overuse of antibiotics, and the result can be what happened to my mom. Two weeks before developing uncontrollable diarrhea, she received a course of Cipro antibiotic for an eye infection, which evidently killed all her good bacteria and allowed the bad stuff to run rampant. She was in the hospital for two weeks and then released to a skilled nursing facility because she was too weak to stand up. After two days in the rehab center, she was rehospitalized for a week due to being in a near-comatose state. As of yesterday she has returned home and is able to maneuver with a walker or a cane but will continue to be treated with physical and occupational therapy by a home health agency. C. diff kills over 40,000 people each year in the United States, most of whom are elderly or infants.
I want to thank all of you who e-mailed me with your concerns over my absence. I hope to be back to blogging as of now, although it probably will not be on a daily basis since my mom needs round-the-clock care. Her mental capacity has dropped tremendously in the past few weeks and she is incapable of handling the most rudimentary tasks. I hope to visit your blogs within the next couple of days. Thanks for being such great friends!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


19 comments:
oh, bless you both. your poor mom. i hope she can regain her strength and her cognizance, too. this must have been incredibly wearing on you. i am so sorry. i hope things have turned a corner for the better. thanks for updating us. we have, indeed, missed you.
I will pray for you and your mom, so glad to see this post and that wonderful flower. I am so sorry all this has been happening to you and your mom, and I do pray right now for strength for you to care for her and a renewed good health for both of you.... keep us posted and don't worry about others blogs until you get life a little more normal...
Very happy to see you back, Kathy, and hope from here on things go more smoothly!
We will be grateful for your always interesting posts whenever they appear and in the meantime, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Cheers,
Jo
You are in my thoughts and prayers Kathy.
So glad to see you back. Hopefully, sharing something here and there will do you a world of good.
Oh Kathy, what a trying time you have had. I can't tell you how much I have missed your posts.
Kathy, so good to see you back. Praying that things continue to improve for both you and your mom.
Thank you for your kind comment regarding my mom.
Oh, my goodness, Kathy. You have too much to do to worry about blogging and visiting us. Just keep us updated now and then so we can be assured that you are "okay." I am so sorry that you need to deal with these difficult issues. Thinking about you!!
Like!!
I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. C. Diff is very scary and even harder on seniors.
Your flower is so soft - such a dreamy background and so beautiful!
Rest up!
I've wondered about you and missed your lovely photos. My prayers for your Mom and you as the caregiver.
Kathy, you are in my thoughts and prayers. It is good to see you back and we look forward to each and every post from you.
God Bless you both. I hope you are on the path to healing.
It made my day to hear from you today. Sorry to hear about all of the illness you and your mom are having to deal with. Sending you both good thoughts.
Welcome back! Love the background of this flower shot.
Prayers for you mama... I hope she has a full recovery.
I have some catching up to do as I have been rather hit and miss over the last month, and I apologize for not knowing your Mom was ill. I left a message also on your other blog. I am so glad she is better now. I will only visit here from now on, and I promise to be more faithful. God bless you and your Mother.
Wow. My son had a 3 week course of antibiotics after which I came home and found him lying on the floor groaning. I was about to take him to the ER but my neighbor is a nurse practitioner with a doctorate. I ran over there, she knew right off the bat what it was. We started him on yogurt and acidophilus. Cured!
I really think the medical profession needs to advise people taking strong or long term antibiotics to also take something to counter their effects. I am glad she is improving and wish you well.
Post a Comment