Friday, June 28, 2013

Oak Hill Cemetery - Smithville, Texas


Just a few miles south of Smithville is the Oak Hill Cemetery.  I'm fascinated by angel statuary and happened one day to stumble onto a photographer's website featuring photos of angels in various cemeteries in Central Texas.  One of the "good" ones was in Oak Hill so I made to note to try to find the cemetery when I visited that sweet little town.  I was not disappointed.


This gorgeous angel graces the grave of Edna May, daughter of W.T. and E.\M. Flint.  Born in 1880, she was just a few days over 30 years of age when she died in 1910.


Although not an angel with wings, this beautiful statue marking the grave of Theresa Esterak, wife of C.O. Leshikar, appears to have been recently cleaned.  Theresa was born in 1882 and died in 1914.


13 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

such a sad face on the 2nd!

Randy said...

These are so lovely.

biebkriebels said...

They look very lovely.

Beth said...

Beautiful!

Sharon said...

You found two beautiful monuments to show us. I love to look at cemeteries where there are big monuments like this.

Jo's World said...

They are both beautiful, but I love the angel's wings!

I also love the inscriptions on these old headstones, very often on a theme of "Going Home."

Cheers,
Jo

Judy said...

Both are beautiful. These huge monuments seem to grace the older cemeteries. Not many people opt for them these days. They are really lovely pieces of art.

A Colorful World said...

So beautiful. I love the statuary in cemeteries, and these are exceptionally lovely. Sad the woman died at age 30. You always wonder about the people whose tombstones you see.

Suburban Girl said...

I just read a novel about cemetery angels. Of course, your post popped it into my head.

Kate said...

Both statues are fitting memorials for the deceased. I think that the cleaned statue looks every so much nicer, altho the other one gives it a semblance of the age of the burial.

Jeanne said...

I love old cemtetaries. Is that creepy? Not sure but the angels are just beautiful.

EG CameraGirl said...

It must be a chore to clean statuary but the cleaned statue sure looks great!

Lara said...

I think I am as fascinated by the angel statuary as you are!