Monday, January 10, 2011

Tarnished Angel


I was in Nacogdoches today and had a few minutes to spare when I stumbled across this cemetery near downtown.  I could tell there were old gravestones in it so I grabbed the camera and set out in 30-degree misty weather to see what I could find.  I got halfway across the cemetery when I realized there was no memory card in the camera.  Drat!  Then I remembered my little point-and-shoot was back in the truck in my purse and the cards for both cameras are compatible so I hiked back and then retraced my steps looking for this tall angel.  By the time I got there my hands were frozen and my feet were cold.  She is quite dirty but I'm sure to clean her up would require scaffolding because of her height and her stonework would probably crumble.  I found the grave of a hero of the Texas Revolution and since coming home and doing a tad of research I discovered that many prominent persons in Texas' fight against Mexico for independence are buried in this hallowed ground.  Nacogdoches touts itself as the oldest town in Texas, as does San Augustine, a little town known as the Cradle of Texas Liberty, about 60 miles to the northeast.  Both settlements were hotbeds for political activity in the early 1800s.  There are many historical markers around Nac because of all this important history and as the weather gets better and I get to know the layout of the land a little better I'll be looking for pictures of historic places.

9 comments:

Suburban Girl said...

The photo did not show up?

Sharon said...

She might be tarnished but I bet her blessings still calm hearts.
I'd love to see some of your historic finds.

Randy said...

Kathy this is so beautiful. I agree with Sharon old things calm my heart. Lovely.

fredamans said...

I love cemeteries. Surprising the beauty that lies with death. Great shot!

EG CameraGirl said...

Exploring old cemeteries can be fascinating! This is quite the angel so I'm glad you found a memory card!

Mari said...

She is very pretty! I love old cemeteries.

SouthernSass said...

Beautiful shot Kathy!

Suburban Girl said...

Now I see it. Very pretty.

Lara said...

Lovely!