Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Zion Hill First Baptist Church ~ Nacogdoches, Texas



Zion Hill First Baptist Church, the oldest African-American Baptist Church in Nacogdoches, was organized in 1879 and in 1914 moved into this gothic/Victorian building designed by the noted German architect Diedrich Anton Rulfs, whose designs are a major contribution to the visual and architectural history of Nacogdoches. In 1987 the congregation, practically bankrupted by the upkeep on the church, moved to a new building. The church is now owned by the City of Nacogdoches and has been renovated, although what its eventual use will be is presently undecided. The church borders Oak Grove Cemetery, one of the oldest cemeteries in the city in which several prominent historic figures are buried, including Thomas J. Rusk, Secretary of War of the Republic of Texas, a general in the Texas army which defeated Santa Anna at the Battle of San Jacinto after the massacre at the Alamo and Goliad, and who later became a United States Senator from the State of Texas.

10 comments:

Randy said...

What a beautiful old church.

EG CameraGirl said...

It looks HUGE! I'm not surprised it's expensive to maintain. It's great the town has taken it over because it has such historical significance.

Carol said...

This is a beautiful big church! I like the view through the trees.

Sharon said...

It's a really beautiful building.

Jason St. Peter said...

I love these old wooden churches nice photo Kathy

Magpie said...

It's such a gorgeous building. I can almost hear the sweet voices raised in praise on a Sunday. It's good you took this picture in winter. There would be so much of the beauty covered by the trees in the summer. I hope the city does something special with it and the grounds. Too much history to be lost.

Judy said...

It is a grand building. I was there a few years ago and found it a charming town.

Mari said...

What a beautiful building - it's huge!

Anonymous said...

You know, this is the kind of thing that we don't have here in Phoenix and I miss it. Outside of a few churches most of the Sunday services out my way are conducted in schools.

Suburban Girl said...

I like the cutouts over the window...the look like Mickey Mouse. :)