Even though I grew up in this area and knew that Nacogdoches was an historic spot, I really never thought about how much history was around this entire area when I was younger. Of course, when I was younger, I wasn't too interested in history.
So I'm now on a quest to learn more about the history of this region and I've decided to, when the time is available, to take short day road trips to find out more about where I live. It gives my mom opportunity to be rid of me for a few hours (and me the opportunity to ~ well, you know).
My first minitrip was this weekend to Marshall, Texas, the county seat of Harrison County about 60 miles north of us. Marshall sits right on I-20 about 30 miles from the Louisiana border. Marshall has about 25,000 population and was founded in 1841, after the Texas war with Mexico for independence but before statehood. The Harrison County courthouse is the most beautiful, elaborate courthouse building I believe I have ever seen. The town is also replete with Victorian-style homes, some of them constructed pre-Civil War.
This beautiful Victorian-style queen of the downtown square was constructed in 1900 after the second courthouse in Harrison County was destroyed by fire in 1899. It has been used as a museum since 1986 but has much worldwide publicity as being the star of the annual Wonderland of Lights. The building is adorned with over 2 million (count 'em, 2,000,000!) and attracts approximately 750,000 visitors each year. I'll be one of them next year, that's for sure. There simply wasn't time to plan a visit this year after my arrival in mid-December. Hopefully by then I will have learned how to take pictures of lights at night!
This shot taken from the east side of the building (the photo above was from the north side) gives a perspective of the size.
Details of the dome include clocks on all four sides (none of which displayed the correct time), carved eagles at each corner and in the middle of each of the four sides, a bell (which was actually ringing as I snapped this picture) and a winged Lady Justice with sword and scales.




12 comments:
Wow, what a grand place that is. It kind of reminds me of a small Shonnbrunn Palace!
I love the color and architecture of this building!
What a beautiful structure the Queen of Downtown is!! I would love to see that lit up! Your last shot is esp beautiful with the yellow/gold against the bright blue sky.
Wow, that's gorgeous. There is so much more history for you to explore. Thanks for sharing it!
Wow that is not something you see everyday. Maybe in a movie or two. That is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see more.
What a building!!! I'm glad you have time to explore and that you are sharing your explorations with us!
Beautiful building.
I didn't know what a "Wonderland of Lights" is, so I looked up on search and guess what? I saw a part of last year's show on video. Really beautiful.
Your photos are very clear, what camera did you use here Kathy? I want to buy a new camera and don't know what to buy.
Somewhere, I have a picture of this building from a trip many years ago. You can't pass this place without your jaw dropping and stopping to take a picture or two. They don't build them like that anymore. Now I can't wait to see it with the lights so don't forget.
This building is simply stunning. Judy is so right, they just don't build things like this anymore. I bet the light display is amazing.
The court house is magnificent! I'm so glad you will be taking us on some road trips to see a bit of Texas!
Thank you Kathy for your answer, I was in love with Canon rebels for a long time.
I would like a compact camera though, small enough to take it with me all the time.
That last shot is fantastic.
Wow!!!
Post a Comment