Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Classic or Reinvented?


There seems to be a lot of interest in classic cars these days here in rural East Texas.  Almost every local festival or holiday celebration has a few,  Here's one I photographed back on July 4 at the Timpson Frontier Days.

For some reason I didn't take a photo of the entire vehicle but let me tell you it is a pickup truck, although you can't see the bed.  But if I'm not mistaken, this front portion is a typical 1960s VW Bug. VW has produced a few Beetle pickups in the past but they seem to be more flat-nosed than this one so I think this car has been reinvented rather than being a classic.

The owner, the fellow in the yellow, was super excited about his vehicle.  He wanted to tell me how much he'd put into this project and how much he was going to sell it for.  I think both figures were tall tales.


I think this is a reinvention.  The color is all wrong, Cup holders didn't come along for many, many years (and I don't recall seeing a three-space cup holder ever), and the stitching on the upholstery looks a little amateurish.  Ladies of my age group, remember the dyed-to-match shoes we used to get to go with our prom dresses?  I think that's where he got those seat belts.

Classic or Reinvented?  What do you think?

10 comments:

MadSnapper n Beau said...

not sure which it is, but i do love the color and the front end is beautiful. my first car was a 56 chevy hard top two door and it was this color and white...

Paula said...

Pretty colors but the cup holders don't look quite right to me.

Sharon said...

I'm with you on this one. I'd say reinvention for sure. I loved your description of the dyed to match shoes. I remember those very well.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I'm going to agree with you on this one- definitely a re-invention...but I love the color scheme!

Anonymous said...

A fav color for me. Classy car.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

But I do love the color, and Route 66 says it all.

Stephanie said...

Looks to be reinvented. I like the colors! I like the guy's t-shirt!

EG CameraGirl said...

Hmmm. My brother-in-law has a vintage (1946) car that colour (or similar). I have no idea how authentic the colour is though.

Suburban Girl said...

Have you ever done Route 66?

Kate said...

People from many parts of the states feature vintage car rallies in the summer. We all love those cars!