Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Shimmer of Hummingbirds


Don't you just love the names that have been given to certain animals?  When I went online to see what to call a group of hummingbirds, I discovered the words to call hummingbirds can be a charm, a troubling, a glittering, a shimmer, a tune, a chattering, a drum, a bouquet or an archive.

We've had quite a few hummers in the past few weeks.  I suppose they're tanking up on nectar getting ready for their trip south.  Some people say you should stop feeding hummingbirds because it entices them to stay too long and they will get caught in the cold and freeze to death.  However, I have now learned that that is not the case.  Hummingbirds will leave your area when it's time.  And they know when it's time because they are smart little creatures.  They can remember every flower they have ever visited and how long it will take to flower to refill its nectar.  For some other fascinating hummingbird facts, visit THIS LINK.

Sorry for my lengthy absence.  My mother went out into one of our pastures a couple of weeks ago without telling me and - you guessed it! - fell and couldn't get up.  I didn't realize she was gone for an hour and a half and when I found her, she was dehydrated and covered with ants and grass, quite dirty and red-faced.  It's taken me about two weeks to get her back to status quo and she has resumed physical therapy at home to work on balance issues.  Although she injured one of her shoulders (probably a rotator cuff tear but it cannot be diagnosed without MRI and she is unable to undergo MRI testing because she has a pacemaker), the therapists do not believe the use of her arm will be improved by PT so they are concentrating on her balance to hopefully keep her upright and off the ground!  I hope to be able to visit you in the next day or so.

13 comments:

Amy Burzese said...

Glad to see you! I was just thinking about you and your mom the last few days. Sorry about the fall! But, glad that she is getting better. I think our hummingbirds would be called a troubling. All they do is fight. They never allow others to feed on the feeder like in your great shots here.

TexWisGirl said...

oh, i'm so sorry about your mom. bless you and her! it just doesn't get easier for you.

our hummers have been busy, too. i have to refill feeders about once a day or so, now.

Randy said...

Sorry to hear about your mom. These photos are wonderful.

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh my goodness, Kathy! I'm sorry it took you so long to get your mom back to the status quo.

Hummingbirds are indeed amazing critters. We still have a few juveniles here but NEVER have as many at our feeder at one time as you get. What a charm...er glittering...er shimmer...or whatever!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

so sorry your mother fell and that you had to go through the trauma of it all. i know it had to be awful for you seeing her in that condition.. the humming birds are beautiful and i had no idea they had so many names. i like the glittering and the shimmer

Sharon said...

These photos of the hummingbirds are simply gorgeous! Sorry to hear about your mother. Sounds like you've had our hands full the past week.

Judy said...

You have made some amazing captures of those little birds with their wings spread. I have never been able to get a good one.

I hope your mother will be feeling better soon.

Kaya said...

Dear Kathy, I am terribly sorry to hear what happened to you mom. I am great believer in physical therapy and I hope that it will help you mom a lot.

I love your birds so much! They are very precious. You captured them so beautifully!

Wish you mom a complete recovery!

Gail Dixon said...

Beautiful shots of the Shimmer! My favorite is Charm and Bouquet. :) They are such entertaining little birds, aren't they?

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

You must have a steady hand because I never can photograph these flighty lil birds!

Kate said...

You deserve te pleasure of seeing these fiesty little birds after the ordeal with your Mom. Hope that she recovers her balance soon.

A Colorful World said...

Your hummers are so lovely! I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your Mom! Once I was supposed to watch my Dad (who had Alzheimers) overnight, and he left the house, walking down the street in his pajamas. I didn't even know it! My brother-in-law just happened to look out his window and see him (sis & BIL lived next door to Mom & Dad). After that Mom got alarms put on the doors. I was horrified...what if he had slipped away into the woods and fallen like your Mom and we had to go look for him in the dark. Well, I am just so glad you found your Mom and that she's doing better now!

Bethany Carson said...

Lovely photos of the hummingbirds!