Sunday, May 11, 2014

Don's Bug Barn


Last month on one of my "days off" I took a short road trip to Athens, Texas, to visit the East Texas Arboretum.  I didn't find too many worth photography opportunities on that trip but on my way home I came to a screeching half just east of Athens when I passed something called Don's Bug Barn.  In a rather large salvage yard resided well over 100 VW "Bugs" in varying stages of rust.  They were behind a locked cattle gate so all I could do was take pictures over and through the fence.  I would have loved to have gone through the gate for a few rusty closeups but I thought Don might have been in one of the buildings on the property with a rusty old shotgun so I just snapped a few pics, jumped back in Truck and got the H out of Dodge.


Even in rusty junkyards you can usually find something of beauty.

12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh my gosh! you're in rust heaven! :)

you've just got to link this in to rubbish tuesday (which opens monday mornings) at www.rubbishbyroan.blogspot.com/

:)

Paula said...

Any color you want plus rust. Neat post.

Sharon said...

Oh there must a thousand photos waiting inside that junk yard. What a find.
To answer your question on my site, I go to the Farmer's Market downtown just south of Roosevelt. It was so busy on Saturday it was hard to get around.

Judy said...

I can see why you came to a screeching stop. That is a photo opportunity you just can't pass up!

Suburban Girl said...

What a great place for photos!

Gail Dixon said...

I wanted a VW bug for such a long time. Weird to see all the rusted out ones and so many of them. Hope you can get your close-ups there one day.

Kaya said...

Old, rusted cars... Once upon a time they were driving. They are classic! And still have their pride!

Wonderful captures of these cars!

Randy said...

Poor bugs.

Jeanne said...

That's fantastic!! Just love it.
I wonder what possesses people to collect like that?

Cheryl @ TFD said...

That would make me come to a screeching halt too! Not everyday you find that many old VWs. Wonder if they have plans for them or are just collecting rusty oldies?

Unknown said...

Amazing! I've never seen anything like this. What a find, Kathy.

Kate said...

Oh my goodness! I had a red "fu-fu" and loved it.