Friday, January 24, 2014

Snow in Texas


Very little snow by most of the country's standards but two inches of that white fluffy stuff is a rarity here!  I finally got motivated to at least take a few pictures of birds at our feeders.


This is my favorite female cardinal.  I call her Betty White because she is a true "Golden Girl."


Another pose of Betty.


I think the Tufted Titmouse is my favorite bird.  They are just brimming with passion and attitude.




Did you know that cardinals can live up to 15 years in the wild?  I was amazed to learn that information.

19 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful birds! we got zero ice and snow here. had heard it was due to hit south of us and i'm guessing they were right for once!

Jo's World said...

When I lived in the South, we had lots of tufted titmouse and they palled around with the cardinals. What I loved most about them was that they would fly like they were just a tiny bit drunk! and so cute!

Glad you got some snow, we think every buddy should have some.

Cheers,
Jo

Randy said...

What wonderful photos. I like them all.

Paula said...

I saw so many Cardinals at the ranch today. I didn't know they live that long. No snow here but ice on the cars and houses.

Pia said...

So cute visitors! And wow, you got snow! Stay motivated to capture and share all that beauty because I am so tired with the grey I have outside here.
Love your Cardinal and Titmice. I did not know that some birds have such a long livespan. But now I know why I sometimes think a longtime friend comes by when a little bird stops in my garden and starts to sing for me.

Liebe Grūße,
Pia

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I am happy to learn that Betty has a long life expectancy.. i did not know that. she is one cute bird... i have never seen a titmouse except on blogs... they are so cute.

Judy said...

Wow! Snow and Cardinals make for an eye-catching picture. I didn't know that they lived so long but I think that is wonderful.

Sharon said...

Snow that far south!! That polar vortex thing is really causing havoc across the east and southeast. I didn't now know that about cardinals but I do know that they tend to be skittish around humans so I'm very impressed by these shots.

Lisa Gordon said...

I saw this on the news, Kathy!
Your sweet little feathered friends don't seem to mind at all. :-)

Louisette said...

Lovely fotos and birds, , here belgium, may be tomorrow snow arrived

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Love the winter shots- especially of the cardinal. That bright red color is spectacular to see.

Gail Dixon said...

The titmouse is my favorite, too! They are so fun. So glad the birds have a place to feed in the harsh weather.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Love the name you have given the female cardinal! I heard you got snow in Texas yesterday. I hope it's melted by now.

Lisa said...

Gorgeous and how interesting to have snow there and its all melting here way up north 2000 miles away

Amy Burzese said...

Glad you were able to get some birds in snow shots. But, I bet you are glad you didn't get any more snow than that!

Suburban Girl said...

I like that you named the cardinal, so cute. My daughter moved to Virginia Beach in the fall and they had a 3" snowfall a week ago when we had 1 ft. She said you would have thought it was the end of the world because everything shut down, roads were not cleared, and people didn't know how to drive in it. We would hardly blink at 3".

Kate said...

Kathy, these are WONDERFUL shots of the birds. I always love female Cardinals; they don't need to be as showy as the males to be beautiful.

EG CameraGirl said...

You may not have gotten much snow but it was still dangerous for you as most of you do not have snow tires. I hope the weather gets warmer for you soon as I'm pretty sure your homes are not as well insulated as ours in the north.

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

I am sure when your used to a lot of warmth is felt much colder than it was. Great bird photos - I have such a hard time capturing birds, as I do not really have a steady hand.