Sunday, August 29, 2010

Judge Charles A. Tweed House





Judge Charles A. Tweed, a resident of California who was known to be a profound thinker and a rare conversationalist, was appointed in 1870 to become the judge of the first district court in Phoenix. It’s amazing to realize that this cute little cottage located at 16th Avenue and Fillmore not far from the Arizona State Capitol was built 130 years ago. It is unknown exactly when it was constructed but most accounts state 1880 or 1881. Judge Tweed only lived in the house for two years but the name has stuck for over a century and it is one of the oldest structures in Maricopa County. Today it is owned by a nonprofit organization, Neighborhood Ministries, according to the county assessor but it indeed appears to be inhabited as a residence, complete with a swimming pool on one side. It is listed on both the National Register and the Phoenix Historical Properties Register.

5 comments:

Suburban Girl said...

I love that it has retained the name! I'd love to peek inside. :)

Life Is A Road Trip said...

It's a charming looking place!

Sharon said...

I like that it looks much like it must have looked when it was built.

Magpie said...

I like the boxy look of this one. Charming!

EG CameraGirl said...

Someone has taken very good care of that house! I wonder what it looks like inside.